Monday, January 12, 2009

Eggnog Muffins

I got the itch to bake again this weekend and when I ran into this recipe, I decided the quart of eggnog that has been sitting in my refrigerator for weeks just had to be used up. The original recipe attempts to be somewhat healthy with the addition of oats. I, however, decided that if I was going to bake, I was going to make something not at all healthy. Thus, I omitted the oats and added chocolate chips. There is nothing like the smell of freshly baked goods and I highly recommend that one keep flour, baking powder, baking soda, (real) vanilla extract, and unsalted butter in stock at all times. I used to avoid baking altogether because I never had flour in my kitchen -- I didn't know what I was missing! The muffins were moist and not too sweet. The eggnog flavor was definitely highlighted. The recipe below is slightly tweaked from the original.

Eggnog Muffins

Ingredients

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups eggnog (I used light)
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 - 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Cinnamon-sugar for sprinkling (prepared by mixing 1 tsp sugar with 1/8 tsp cinnamon)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 12 regular muffin cups.

2. Place flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Use a whisk to combine the dry ingredients.

3. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggnog, oil, egg, vanilla extract, nutmeg, and cinnamon.

4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix or your muffins won't rise properly. Fold in the chocolate chips.

5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar over each. Bake in preheated over at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Makes 12 regular sized muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment